Thursday, May 14, 2009

What have I had lateley?

A couple of Cali Cabs - the Rodney Strong that was just marked down from $33 to $26 by the LCBO was nice for $17. For what I paid, I thought it was still overpriced. However, it got a shaking and a rattling on the way home so I'm willing to chalk that one up to a minor case of bottleshock. I found this one lacking mouthfeel, and a little short. Flavours were black fruit with a hint of smoke, I have a couple more in the cellar for future. If they're better, I'll let you know. If they're not, I'll say stick with one of these $17-22 South American cabs and you'll be happier: Montes Alpha, Concha y Toro Marques de Casa Concha or for a bargain and if you can find it grab the Familia Bianchi.

Deloach Cabernet(Napa) from the LCBO regular list - Beppi Crossariol liked it a few weeks ago so I thought " $15, what's to lose?" It's a nice 'crowd of people, bbq, backyard, sitting around wanting a glass that might turn into 3 glasses' kinda wine. Black Fruit, not tannic, a little thin, but nothing offensive there at all. But this is where 'buyer beware' kicks in. Some of the Vintages products that are on sale for 2 or 3 bucks more are twice the wine now and the disparity will be even more in 3 or 4 years .

No comments: