Thursday, May 19, 2011

The conspiracy theory plot thickens further!

Many Thanks to reader Rick from Ottawa for his post in the Comments section regarding Dandelion's Lionheart Shiraz. For those too lazy to check the comments section, Rick said:

"Hello, I just finished the last bottle of Dandelion we had from last year. Fortunately we purchased 12 at the time and enjoyed every one for special occasions. The lot from last years distribution I had was L10046. We just purchased several bottles today and the lot is L0230. Haven't tried it yet, but will let you know how it is for comparison."

Now the plot truly does thicken. If I'm understanding the lot numbers right, Rick's last bottle of last year's release  was produced on the 46th day of 2010 (Feb.15th). Rick's  most recently purchased bottle matches the ones I bought - L0230, which I interpret to be day 230, 2010. Mine  has a time of 09:33 and an L1 etched in the bottle. I read the notes from Dandelion's site last summer but I'm not sure how Dandelion knew prior to June  they HAD bottled only 1103 cases if they didn't bottle this wine until day 230 - August 18th.

SO, methinks the LCBO has some 'splainin to do - or at least they should do as much of a comparison as they can between the two wines. Meantime on to my unscientific taste test. I hope Rick will respond with his 2 cents worth as well when he tries the latest release.

I popped and poured mine on Friday evening, shortly after a 5 minute car ride from the LCBO.  Initial aromas of black fruit and hints of mint. Maybe some rotting, make that ageing, meat (or bacon/ smoked meat combo -  either way to me that's a good thing!).  First taste, lots of fruit - very nice with a slight olive tapenade. Full notes across the palate and a nice, long finish. The fruit lasted through the first glass ( Reidel syrah stemware). Second glass had the fruit fading for me and by the third I found that, by and large,  the fruit component had left the building leaving mostly alchoholic, earthy notes with just a hint of chemical after taste.

So, my recommendation? Open with company,  pour 4 or more big glasses and drink them right away. Not like shooters but don't linger too long over them! This is one wine that does not seem to appreciate air much.

Quality wise, this Lionheart was not up to the version I drank last year. I do still have another bottle from this release. I'll give it some time in a cool dark place and will try it then see if it comes around any more.

For now, this skeptical reviewer suggests a name change to Lionheart of the Bait and Switch.

1 comment:

Rick S. said...

Hello, I had posted the lot number from last year's Dandelion Vineyards, Lionheart of the Barossa, Shiraz 2008. We have had about 6 bottles now and would like to share our opinion at this time. Essentially the tasting as you have described is what I experienced in our first few bottles early on, good fruit initially but fading on the last glasses and alcoholic/chemical aftertaste. The one thing that struck me was that this years lot number L0230 was less velvety and didn't have the tannins of the last years L10046. The last bottle I had from L10046 had nice sediments in it and just had that balanced quality to it. We had a few more of the L0230 recently and the alcoholic/chemical aftertaste has subsided and the wine tastes more balanced. Where they got the grape from for L0230 is not for me to say but it isn't the same in my opinion. The L0230 is better now than tasting on May 13 but will not reach that what L10046 provided. It's good but will not be great. I'm drifting now to St. Hallett Shiraz and have lost my exuberance for Dandelion. C'est la vie.
Rick from Ottawa