Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The July 9th Vintages Release – A few good buys but mostly overrated and overpriced 90 pointers.

The July 9th Vintages Release has a few good buys but mostly overrated and overpriced 90 pointers. For fans of fizz, there are a couple of tasty options for you without breaking the bank on Champagne.
What am I buying? I’m not blown away by the release. I might buy a few LANs (so good with food), and no more than singles of a Schild,  a  Cicchitti and a Tenuta di Ghizzano if I can find one.
Argentina
Cicchitti Gran Reserva 2004 – Tannins should be very soft in this 7 year old for $21.95. I’ve held off buying Malbecs lately so I might have a small hole to fill. Lamb Chops? Steaks? Mmmm.
LaMadrid Cab Sauv 2007 – At $16.95 this should also very nicely accompany something grilled and bleeding.
Oz
Schild Shiraz 2007 – Although the 2007 Schild Shiraz ranked number 43 in the WS top 100 of 2009 it is OVERPRICED at $27.95. This should be $20 to $22. Also, you may recall the questionable winemaking ethics that Schild displayed last year. Schild management was  caught with their pants down making a ‘No one will catch us, let’s profit while we can!’ rerun of their 2008 vintage with afterthought bought, non estate fruit once their original 2008 vintage became a 2010 WS Top 10 wine.  The fact that the 2007 vintage of a Top 100 wine is still available concerns me that this may be another of the same sneaky doings only done a year earlier before anyone was aware.  I have a bottle of the ’07 at home that I purchased a year or two ago in BC (at about the same price – hello LCBO!) so I’ll be checking lot numbers and doing a head to head with one from this release. Let’s see if my somewhat crude palate can detect a difference and of course let’s see if the LCBO got taken again (see my opinion of the Dandelion Shiraz a few weeks back). Watch this space for the results. Oh and I will only be buying one. Another Schild note, Wine Spectator did an Aussie Wine review recently and refused to include Schild’s 2008 Estate Shiraz in their ‘Top Aussie wines’ in spite of it making the Top 10 of their Top 100 last year.  The quality issues with the second batch of ‘08s are apparently just too big to overlook. So buyer  beware with this ’07 and especially buyer beware if the ’08 makes an LCBO appearance in the future!!! It might be very good, but then again  it might be drek.  It amazes me that a company could, would and did jeopardize their reputation for such short term, limited profits.
The Rhone
Domaine Des Bosquets Gigondas 2007 – At $31.95, this is considerably more expensive than other recent LCBO releases of wines from Gigondas but might be worth buying one. I would describe this as a better buy than the Chateau Neuf du Pape in the release.
Domaine Duseigneur  Antarès Lirac 2007 Lirac is another of the named villages in the Cotes du Rhone Villages, so it’s a step or two up in quality. At $19.95 this 2007 vintage wine should be ready to drink and for you fans of the environment, it’s organic. 
Italy
Viticcio Bere 2007 – A super Tuscan at $17.95? And 90 points? What’s the catch?
Tenuta di Ghizzano 2007 - $29.95 – 94 points from the usually stingy Antonio Galloni for under 30 bucks. Hard to argue but get there early for it! This wine’ll probably be lucky to make it to the shelves. 
Paolo Leo Salice Salentino Reserva 2006 comes in at only $14.95 for a Decanter  gold medal winner. Again, it’s very hard to argue!
Spain
Arrocal 2008 - $16.95 for a nice young tempranillo. This wine could use a bit of time to come together but then should be quite nice.
 Bodega LAN Reserva 2005 – LAN is a terrific producer of quality Spanish wines. A great food wine at a good price $19.95.
USA
Atalon 2004 From Napa should be a very nice sample of what a Napa cab should be. Except, look at the prices from around the world and look at the Napa Cab price - $36.95? Too much.
Sparklers
Avoid the true Champagnes and save your money. I’d go with one of the following:
Roederer Sparkling Brut from California at $28.95  or the even better priced and slightly pink hued  Louis Bouillot Cremant De Bougogne  for $18.95.
Three under Thirteen
Pléyades Reserva 2005 – At  $12.95 this might be the bargain sleeper red of the release.
Vina Aljibes Syrah rosé 2010 – Tapas on a summer deck? Good call!
Cesari Bardolino Chiaretto Classico rosé 2010 – should be a tasty rosé to serve with a nice seafood antipasto.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the fiasco about the second pressing is way overblown. I recently returned from Australia and had a chance to try the "Second Pressing" wine that was clearly labeled as such. To me there was no discernible difference. With all of the blending that goes on and the mixing of grapes from different parcels I don't know what the fuss is about. I believe this happens regularly, the difference with this case is the huge reaction to a bottle of this price scoring so well. They also never shipped any second pressings out of Australia. I would agree the price of this bottle is steep, it should be close to $20. For the record, I don't have any conflicts of interests, I just like good wine. Cheers.

BP said...

Hi Anon,
Thanks for your input on the Schild fiasco. From all I've read, the 'second pressing' label only came about as a result of Schild being found out and prior to that no label was present, hence my buyer beware suggestion. For a second run of their '08 using late bought grapes to score the equivalent of 94 points is no small feat (if you are saying it did by having 'no discernable difference). The Wine Spectator did not share your opinion. That said, not everyone views WS as a credible source for wine reviews either so their opinion could be debated. Once I taste this version of the '07 with the one I have, I'll provide my wine based opinion as opposed to a news based one. And yes I do plan to do the test blind

Thanks for reading and Thanks for commenting!