Friday, January 25, 2013

BP goes slumming on the General List and finds a gem and a gold star for a Vintages consultant


Clos du Calvaire from Domaine du Pere Pape 2010 – I recently opened the 2007 vintage of this wine (purchased from Vintages a number of years ago) and thought it was splendid. So when I saw the 2010 for under $30 at my local LCBO, I had to jump in and try one. The 2010 vintage of this Chateauneuf du Pape has to be among the best buys on the General List at the LCBO right now.   Decanted for an hour or so, it shows a slightly reticent nose with hints of funk that leads to forest floor. That soon gives way to cassis and then ganache notes. On the palate, it’s fruit driven with cassis/ black berries and red raspberry notes.  It finishes nice and long with olive and licorice notes supporting the fruit, but is also possessed of enough acidity to accompany the richest of dishes (slow cooked lamb shanks perhaps). At $28.95 this is every bit as good as CdP’s costing $6 to $11 more.  It should sell like crazy but it seems to be oh so  cleverly concealed in plain view on the general list.  It’s nice to find a well priced wine that is available for more than two weeks, will age for years but can also be enjoyed now. I stocked up on it.  Above are my tasting notes, now let's do the math. At about half the price of the brilliant 2010 Vieux Donjon and I’d say at the very least 96% as good, it would seem a no brainer!  Seek one out and let me know if you concur. BP gave this bad boy 92 points and I feel it'll only improve over the next 3 to 7 years given proper storage. It'll age much longer but my palate seems to like these best around that age.

Planets from Prior Pons in the Priorat region of Spain earned my local consultant the gold star. At $22.95 and from the Jan.19 Vintages release, this was not among my recommendations last week but should have been! At the suggestion of my local Vintages consultant Anna, I tried a bottle of this. It’s a fabulous wine! Accompanying osso bucco, we had it immediately following a bottle of Il Greppo Greppicante 2007, which if memory serves me correctly was a WS Top 100 wine. The Planets was head and shoulders above it in quality of (warning: LCBO alliteration alert!) fruit, fullness, and finish. This Spanish blend was a standout. Thanks to Anna for her suggestion! 

No comments: